With the coming of the Canadian Pacific Railroad in 1906, the Village of Windthorst was established. It was named for Dr. Ludwig Windthorst, a German Parliamentarian in the mid to late 1800’s. As leader of the Centre Party, he was a most effective opponent of Bismarck and one of the most important parliamentarians of the era.

Many of the earlier settlers were Americans of German origin, hence the choice of the name for the Village. In addition to the American Germans, there were many English, Scandinavian, Scot and Irish settlers. The settlers established businesses, churches and recreational facilities which are an integral part of the community today.

In 1981, on the occasion of the Village’s 75th Birthday, a history of Windthorst was published. Copies of “Memories” are still available from the Village Office. The cost is $40.00 CDN. If interested in purchasing a copy, contact the Village Administrator at:  P.O. Box 98 Windthorst, SK S0G 5G0; by phone at 306 224 2033 or email village.windthorst@sasktel.net.

2006 saw the 100th Anniversary Celebration in our community.

In 2017 we will celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada.  Please join us!!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *