St. Pius Roman Catholic ChurchSt. Pius

Father Hector Seville, Pastor (306) 538 – 2163

Weekend Mass times follow a 4 week rotation:

  • Saturday 5:00 p.m.;
  • Sunday 9:00 a.m.;
  • Sunday 10:00 a.m.;
  • Sunday 11:00 a.m.

Learn More

In 1902 American settlers began settling in the present Windthorst community – known as the “Stoetzel Colony”. The first Mass was celebrated by Father Suffa in a tent on Mr. Stoetzel’s farm (approximately one mile north of Windthorst) on May 21, 1903.

In 1907, a church was erected on the site of the present St. Pius Cemetery. This church was demolished in 1910 when a new church and rectory were built in Windthorst. On November 15, 1913, this church was blessed by His Grace Archbishop Mathieu.

On April 1, 1929 the church was destroyed by fire. Mass was then celebrated in the rectory and at Carlsberg. In 1931, the Carlsberg church was moved into Windthorst. This church served the parish until 1964 when a new church was constructed.

The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on April 17, 1965. On July 28, 1965, His Grace Archbishop O’Neill blessed the church. By 1968 a new rectory had been constructed adjoining the church.

The 75th Anniversary of the church was celebrated in May 1978. A Bell Tower was erected to commemorate this occasion.

On Saturday, May 17, 2003 over 200 current and former parishioners gathered at St. Pius Church, to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Parish. In conjunction with the Anniversary celebration, Harley Kapell and Peter Dayman celebrated their First Communion. Their great-great grandparents, Dr. Peter and Anna Schmitz and Christian & Mary Hengen had travelled together from Illinois, arriving in Windthorst on May 5, 1903. Their families joined with other settlers to celebrate the first Mass in the Parish on May 21, 1903. It was these pioneers who struggled to eke a living out of the sod, and who still found the time and the energy to practice their faith with fervour and determination, who laid the foundation for our Parish.

The Most Reverend Peter Mallon, Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Regina, concelebrated mass with former pastors, Fr. Joe Frey and Fr. Herman Veltman, and sons of the parish, Fr. Ed Hengen and Fr. Francis Hengen. Following the mass, everyone proceeded to the Church Auditorium for the festivities.

 

Zion Lutheran ChurchZion 160

 

Sunday Service Times Vary. Please contact Dennis or Carol Miller at (306)224-4444 for service times

 

 

 

 

Learn More

The first Lutheran services were conducted in the homes of the Windthorst area by Rev. Schimmelpfenning. When Cornation School was built, services were held there by Rev. Moehring of Wolseley. The congregation was formally organized in 1917 under the leadership of Rev. H. Graupner. Charter members signing the constitution were A. Folbar, N. Miller, L. Pockrandt, A. Biesenthal, R. Biesenthal and W. Biesenthal.

In 1923 William Biesenthal donated 1 and one-half acres of land in SE18-14-6 on which to build a church. The decision to build was made in 1925. The building was dedicated on September 5, 1926. The Ladies Aid donated a bell in 1939.

In the early years, services were in German. In the 1930’s and 1940’s two services were held each Sunday, one in German and one in English. In 1953, the German services were discontinued.

The Ladies Aid was a very active organization in the church until it was disbanded in 1974. The ladies still serve in any way needed but in a more informal way.

Though smaller in number because of larger farms and smaller families, the congregation continues. We pray for God’s continued blessing on our little church in the country.

 

Windthorst United ChurchUChurch

 

Windthorst United Church closed in 2015.

Congregation joined with Kipling United Church.

For service times in Kipling, contact: Wayne Lewis (306) 224 2109

You are invited to join us for times of Worship and Friendship

 

 

Learn More

Church services were first held in the Graytown school in 1903. The Methodist Church, which is now this United Church, was planned in the fall of 1910. The foundation was built in the fall of 1910 and was completed by the fall of 1911. The pulpit was donated by Rev. A.E. Elliot and the first Bible and carpet was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Sam Glydon. Many improvements have been made to the church, mostly by volunteer labour. We are proud of the pioneers who have maintained the church in the early days, and proud of those who now carry on the church work, Sunday School and the United Church Women. In 1950, the church was insulated and painted; a new organ was installed in 1962; and in 1966 the church was moved onto a full-size basement.

 

 

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *